Rural Advice

Horizons’ rural advice team is on hand to provide advice and practical solutions to all farmers in our region. In particular, our team specialise in helping farmers improve effluent and nutrient efficiency on your farm. This includes effluent discharge consenting and compliance requirements as well as advice on waterway management and nutrient management planning.

Although the team have traditionally worked largely in the dairy sector, they are also happy to work with other agricultural or horticultural sectors to help improve efficiency, productivity and profitability in our region. This includes the development of best practice guidelines and assistance at various field and training days. Please contact the team on freephone 0508 800 800 for advice around any of these issues and they will be in touch.

Subscribe to Dairy e-News

Tips and tools

There is a Dairy Effluent Storage Calculator available online that accounts for the impact of factors affecting the quantity of storage required on a dairy farm to successfully practice irrigation. Our rural advice team would like to remind farmers to use this tool when planning storage upgrades or calculating the volume of workable storage required for a dairy effluent discharge consent.

There are also a number of helpful factsheets available on the Rural Farming Compliance Information page such as an irrigator depth quick test guide and top tips for dairy compliance. And remember, if you’re after something that isn’t provided here, give the team a call on freephone 0508 800 800.

District Advice

Horizons’ district advice coordinator provides natural hazards information to the public and territorial authorities in our region. The most common advice sought is around the risk of flooding and this information is used to guide development in areas that may be at risk.

The Real Estate Agents Authority (REAA) is an independent government body which regulates the real estate agent sector in New Zealand. The REAA website includes information on what you need to know when buying or selling property.

Information requests

Our district advice coordinator can provide useful information such as:

  • Hazard information and flood history to inform sale or purchase of property;
  • Whether a property was recorded as being affected by previous flood events;
  • Advice on flood inundation levels when building a new dwelling or extension (this may be required by a city or district council as information for a building consent); and
  • Facts for insurance purposes.
This is a free service and can be made via our freephone number 0508 800 800 or by email. Please provide as much property information in addition to the postal address so the exact property can be located (legal description or valuation numbers are very useful). For further information about flood hazards in the Region please see the factsheet below.

Flood Hazards and the One Plan

District Advice and the One Plan

Horizons’ One Plan aims to discourage houses, businesses, community facilities and infrastructure being in locations that are likely to be inundated during a 1 in 200 year flood event.

However, as the One Plan only contains flood hazard policies, not rules, our role is to provide city and district councils, as building consent authorities, with useful data to help with decision making around plan changes and subdivision development. This includes flood hazard information and floor level recommendations.

The final decision on any subdivision or building consent application lies with those councils. In cases where flood hazards can’t be avoided, we work with city and district councils to consider flood mitigation measures. We also provide advice on any resource consents that may be required from us.


If you own a dam or canal, or are planning to construct, modify or remove a dam, canal or structure associated with a dam, you will need to consider whether you need a consent. Horizons is responsible for dam activities within the Region and our district advice coordinator is available to assist with consent applications.  For more information on this service please see the factsheet below.

Lodge a request


This document will tell you all you need to know about lodging a request for hazard information in regards to a property. 

Dam factsheet


Before undertaking any work to do with a dam or canal please read this factsheet.