If you can't find the answer you're looking for free phone 0508 800 800 or email help@horizons.govt.nz

Filter results by

Section 36

How are the Section 36 research charges calculated for water takes?

The charges are set out in the 2017-18 Annual Plan. All holders of permits for surface and groundwater takes are charged a $30 fixed fee, plus a rate of $0.45 (45 cents) per cubic metre of the authorised maximum daily (not annual) water take volume (as documented in the resource consent).

NOTE:  Charges in the Annual Plan are GST excluded.

Property & Rates

I have always paid a general rate but their year it is showing a zero amount?

We made interest on investments which means there is no general rate for 2018-19 rates.

Property & Rates

I live in Ashhurst why am I now paying a Lower Manawatu - Special Project Scheme?

In 2017 Ashhurst residents asked Horizons to intervene with the progressive loss of the part of the Ashhurst Domain that fronts the Manawatu River, stemming back to the June 2015 floods. As a result this special project is to help pay back the loan. For 2018/19 year this equates to $8.44 per $100,000 of capital value for the Ashhurst rate payer.

Property & Rates

Is the Victoria Avenue Development owned by Horizons?

It is owned by MWRC Holdings which is owned by Horizons. As part of our investment portfolio this will eventually off set rates.

Section 36

What about those people who benefit from this research and monitoring charge but are not charged the Section 36 fee?

All ratepayers, both rural and residential, fund a total of 70 per cent of the compliance costs through the general rating system.

Property & Rates

What is the Capital Connection?

The Capital Connection is a passenger rail service which runs between Palmerston North and Wellington.

Property & Rates

What is the Reid Line Floodway and why has it's rate increased?

The Reid line floodway is located on the outskirts of Feilding township. During flood events it is used to divert flood flows away from the township. We have identified a need to make improvements to this floodway so that flood flows can be diverted more frequently, and enlarge its capacity to provide Feilding with a 200 year return period flood protection standard. This will require the purchase of some of or all of the   private land in the floodway, recontour the floodway to remove the stream culverts that pass through the floodway stopbank, and increase the stopbank height. This proposal complements work that the Manawatu District Council have underway, re-zoning rural land between Feilding and the floodway for residential development and allowing Feilding to continue to grow.

Property & Rates

Why am I now paying rates towards a new Matarawa Scheme?

Horizons staff and contractors are currently clearing the section of the Matarawa Stream that passes through Whanganui, as part of our response to the June 2015 flood event. This reach of the stream was specifically excluded from the Matarawa Scheme when it was first established and accordingly the work currently underway is being funded from general reserves.  We are proposing to spread the cost of repaying the loan over the Whanganui urban area, retaining a smaller maintenance rate once the loan is repaid.

Property & Rates

Why am I now paying rates towards a new Tararua District-wide Scheme?

We have dissolved the Akitio, Eastern Manawatu and Ihuraua Schemes and created a district- wide Tararua River Management (TRM) Scheme.  Previous contributors to these schemes will now pay the district-wide TRM scheme rate instead, as budgeted in the Long-term Plan, and therefore there is no rate increase to previous contributors.  However, for all other ratepayers in the district, the TRM Scheme rate is a new rate and new level of service.

Property & Rates

Why am I paying for drinking water?

The recent enquiry into the contamination of the Havelock North public water supply has highlighted a number of areas for improvement in the management of public water supplies throughout New Zealand. To ensure the relevant agencies are meeting their requirements regarding the protection of drinking water quality, Horizons is working in consultation with local public health officers and territorial authorities to improve overall management of drinking water supplies. The cost to the rate payer $1.06 (GST inclusive).

Section 36

Why are my Section 36 charges based on my maximum authorised daily water take when I do not take my maximum allowance of water?

The terms of your current consent ensure that your right for the full water take amount is reserved. All such charges are based on the maximum authorised daily allowance regardless of the actual volume that the consent holder may choose to take. You may wish to consider varying your consent to a lower consented volume in order to reduce these research charges in the future. This would require a variation to your consent.

Section 36

Why are there two consent numbers on my Invoice this year? Am I being billed twice for every consent I hold?

You have two or additional consent numbers because we moved to a new consents database – this required all existing consents to be renumbered.  To avoid confusion we have included both (old and new) numbers this year so that you are aware of the new number. 

You are only billed for the consent/s you have previously had – there is no double billing.
Your consent/s are shown on the invoice as:  New Consent No ATH-1993000762.00 (formerly 3381).

Buses & Transport

Are the buses wheelchair accessible?

All buses in Palmerston North, Wanganui and Feilding are wheelchair friendly.

Buses & Transport

Bus fares for Massey staff and students?

Massey internal students and staff are entitled to free travel within Palmerston North on any urban or Massey service. GoCard technology is included in your Massey ID cards, so just pass them over the reader on the buses to ride for free.  Free travel does not apply to extramural students. Check out the GoHorizons bus application on your Apple or Android device.


Buses & Transport

Bus fares for UCOL staff and students?

UCOL students and staff are entitled to travel free on Palmerston North and Wanganui urban services, just show your current ID as you board.

Property & Rates

Can I get a discount on my rates?

Yes, for this rating year 1 July 2018 – 30 June 2019.
If all rates owing (this includes arrears, penalty and current) are paid in full by the due date 28 September 2018, a discount of 3% will be allowed on the current rates. The discount applies to the current year only. The 2018-2019 discount does not apply to any rates still owed from previous years, therefore to receive the discount on your current rates the total balance needs to be paid in full before or on the due date.

Total Mobility Scheme

Can I use my Total Mobility vouchers outside the Region?

You can use your vouchers in other towns both within and outside our Region. It's always a good idea to ask the taxi company, at the time you make the booking, if they accept vouchers. (In some of the larger cities only the larger taxi companies accept vouchers.)


Buses & Transport

Does the bus run on a public holiday?

No services run on Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Christmas Day or ANZAC Day. 

On all other public holidays, services run as follows:
Palmerston North -  Sunday timetable.
Wanganui - No services operate.
Feilding - Saturday timetable.
Marton Commuter - No services operate.
Levin Commuter - No services operate.

Buses & Transport

GoCard initial purchases and topups

GoCard purchses can be made onboard the buses with cash or at the bus operators' offices using cash or Eftpos. Initial cards cost $12 with $5 pre-loaded travel and can be topped up in denominations of $10, again on the buses with cash or at the bus operators' offices. GoCards can be used on the Palmerston North, Feilding, Wanganui, Levin and Marton services.

  • Palmerston North services - Tranzit Coachlines: Matipo St, Palmerston North 
  • Wanganui services- Tranzit Coachlines: Ridgway St, Wanganui
  • Marton Commuter, Levin commuter and Feilding services - Uzabus: Bennett St, Palmerston North.   
  • The i-Site in Palmerston North also hold a stock of cards, values available are: $12 ($5 pre-loaded travel) and $22 ($15 pre-loaded travel), sorry top ups not available from here.  Please call 06 350 1922 to check availability.
Horizons Regional Council and Tranzit take no responsibility for damaged or lost cards and credit balances can not be transferred.

Total Mobility Scheme

Has my Total Mobility assessment been approved?

There is usually a turnaround of 10 days from the time the Coordinator receives the completed assessment. If it has been longer than this since your assessment, please give our Customer Services team a call on freeph 0508 800 800

Buses & Transport

Help! I've left something on the bus! Who do I contact?

Give Tranzit a call on 06 355 4955; they look after property left on the bus. Please note no responsibility will be accepted by Tranzit or Horizons Regional council for Lost Property.

Section 36

How are the Section 36 research charges calculated for water quality/discharge consents?

The charges are set out in the 2017-18 Annual Plan, shown in column 2 of  the table below:

NOTE:  1.  Charges in the Annual Plan are GST excluded;

Type and Quantity 2017-18
Annual Fee
Benign Discharge Nil
Discharge to Land <25 155
Discharge to Land>25 to 50 207
Discharge to Land >50 to 100 310
Discharge to Land >100 to 200 414
Discharge to Land >200 to 1,000 1,379
Discharge to Land >1,000 to 10,000 1,551
Discharge to Land 10,000+ 1,724
Discharge to Water <25 310
Discharge to Water>25 to 50 414
Discharge to Water >50 to 100 620
Discharge to Water >100 to 200 827
Discharge to Water >200 to 1,000 2,758
Discharge to Water >1,000 to 10,000 3,102
Discharge to Water 10,000+ 3,447
Unspecified Volume Discharge 1,724
Land Fill – High impact 3,447
Land Fill – Medium impact 517
Land Fill – Low impact 172

Some sites require Council to do more monitoring, therefore, the Tables below show consent holders from who Council now recovers additional research charges. 

Additional Research Site (in addition to standard charge) 2017-18
Annual Fee
AFFCO Feilding 4,847
DB Breweries 8,990
Fonterra - Longburn 3,297
Fonterra - Pahiatua 1,657
Horowhenua District Council 7,847
Manawatu District Council 24,484
NZ Defence Force 6,928
Palmerston North City Council 8,972
Rangitikei District Council 26,159
Riverlands Manawatu 4,072
Ruapehu District Council 28,009
Scanpower 4,989
Winstone Pulp 4,741



Additional Monitoring at Site 2017-18
Annual Fee
Tararua District Council As per contract


How are you different from the city or district council?

Your city or district council is responsible for community services in your area, like road maintenance, libraries, land use and subdivisions. On the other hand we, your regional council, manage the natural resources in your area.

Some of these activities span across several city and district council boundary lines therefore we work closely with other councils on some issues to ensure they are managed to benefit the whole Region.

Total Mobility Scheme

How can I get a disability parking card?

These cards/stickers are obtained from CCS, 248 Broadway Avenue, Palmerston North, ph 06 357 2119.

Section 36

How can I have my say regarding these Section 36 research and monitoring charges?

Research and monitoring charges are determined by Horizons' elected Councillors following a public consultation process.

You can make submissions on Council’s Draft Annual Plan during the consultation process generally in the first third of each year, and during the three-yearly Long-term Plan consultation process. For further information on how to get involved, please contact our customer services team on freephone 0508 800 800.  

Property & Rates

How can I start a payment arrangement?

Payment arrangements can be made by emailing us at help@horizons.govt.nz or giving our friendly Customer Services team a toll-free call on 0508 800 800.
Alternatively you can download and complete a direct debit form from our website and post it to us at the following address:
Private Bag 11025
Manawatu Mail Centre
Palmerston North 4442

Buses & Transport

How do I advertise on a bus?

Feilding buses:  e-mail Graham at Uzabus or call 06 356 4896.

Palmerston North and Wanganui buses: e-mail Tessa at Tranzit Coachlines tessal@tranzit.co.nz or call 0508 TRANZIT ext. 4 for more information.


How do I contact the Councillors?

Our Councillors contact details are available here on our website.

Flood & Emergency Management

How do I find out information on floodable areas?

If you are looking to purchase a property or are extending your home and want to know how high your floor level should be, our District Liaison Officer can provide you with a hazard report that provides detailed information specific to the property in question based on a 1 in 200 year flood. These reports are free of charge, can take up to 10 days, and can be requested by calling our Customer Services team toll free on 0508 800 800.

Managing Natural Resources

How do I find the River Heights and Rainfall page?

On our home page by using the black box on the right hand side. 
Otherwise you can find the page in it's entirety under Flood & Emergency Management.


Total Mobility Scheme

How do I get more Total Mobility vouchers?

You will need to contact the agency which first supplied your vouchers, and ask them for a new supply. If you have forgotten the name of the agency, call Horizons and we will be able to tell you the name and phone number of your agency.

If your ID number starts with 00501- or 01653- Horizons are your ageny. You can get more books from us by calling our Customer Services team on 0508 800 800

Total Mobility Scheme

How do I get on the Total Mobility Scheme?

If you would like to join Total Mobility, please call our Customer Services team on 0508 800 800.
Our Total Mobility Co-ordinator will then organise an assesment for you, with the most appropriate agency.

Total Mobility Scheme

How do I make a complaint, or a suggestion for improvement of the Total Mobility service?

Give the details of the situation/suggestion to our Customer Services team, along with your name and contact information and they will pass the information to the Coordinator.

Managing Natural Resources

How do I report a noxious weed?

You can report a noxious weed by calling our helpful Customer Service team toll free on 0508 800 800 and providing your name and contact information with details of the plant pest.


Managing Natural Resources

How do I report pollution?

By calling our free phone Pollution Hotline on 0508 476 558.

Section 36

How much have my charges changed since last year?

The fixed fee ($30) and the charge per cubic metre taken (45 cents) is 4 cents higher than in 2017. The charges for hydro schemes have also risen slightly.

Section 36

How much of the research are my Section 36 research and monitoring charges funding?

The total annual science and research cost to Horizons, including charges for fixed equipment, computer software, laboratory costs, staffing and research agency fees is $5.397 million. 30 per cent of the cost of water quality monitoring and research ($4.64 million) is funded by consent holders through the research charges, with the balance of 70 per cent being funded through the General Rate.

Section 36

How often will I get this Section 36 invoice?

The charge is levied each year unless the consent is cancelled, or expires, or is transferred.  

Property & Rates

How will I know what the discounted amount is?

The discount amount and the discounted balance will be clearly shown on the rates notice.  The discounted amount will be withdrawn after the due date and the discount will no longer be reflected on your property’s account.

Property & Rates

I can't afford to pay my rates - what can I do?

If you are having difficulty paying your rates we may be able to enter into a payment arrangement with you.  Please contact the Horizons rates team for all payment arrangement options. If your request for a payment arrangement is successful and the payments do not default then a remission of penalty will be applied if required.  Please phone free phone 0508 700 800.
Direct Debit
You may pay by direct debit that offers annual, quarterly, monthly and fortnightly payment options.  A form can be sent to you by our customer services team or you can download the direct debit form.    
Automatic payments
Automatic payments can be set up in two ways:
Request a form from our customer services team, complete it and then pass it onto your bank to set up.
Ring us on free phone 0508 800 800 to work out how much per chosen frequency you need to pay, and then set us up as a new automatic payment through your internet banking.If payments aren’t made, or not enough is being paid to have completed the full invoice by the end of the current financial year (30 June), the remission of penalty will not be applied. 

Property & Rates

I don't use buses why should I pay for them?

Having a bus service available gives people an option for transport and means fewer cars on the road and an environmentally friendly transport solution.  It can also be a cost effective way of getting to and from town, work or between towns.

Property & Rates

I don't want my name and address showing on your Rate Information Database (RID)

Horizons can send you a name suppression form to complete so we can remove your details.  This needs to be applied for each year.  Please note that no names or postal address show on the RID which is the rates database on our website.  You can also download a copy of the suppression form here.

Managing Natural Resources

I have animal pests on my property, can you help?

Our animal pest team are often able to provide different types of traps, and bait depending on what is appropriate. If the animal pest is not included in our pest plan, our pest team can give you helpful advice on what to do. Call our Customer Services team toll free 0508 800 800.

Total Mobility Scheme

I have lost my Total Mobility ID card. How do I get a new one?

There is a charge of $8 for a replacement ID card, and a photo will be needed (we may already have a copy of your photo on file, so please ask). Please contact our Customer Services team and they can organise this with you.

Property & Rates

I live in the Rangitikei District and don't understand what I am paying for to get rid of Old Man's Beard?

Old Man’s Beard has been identified as a particular problem by the local Rangitikei community and as result a ‘Differentiated Uniform Annual Charge' of $34.31 has been applied to properties over 4 hectares in size, and a $9.23 charge for those under 4 hectares. In areas where Old Man’s Beard has become a problem we work with relevant community groups, and aim to stop it spreading further. Outside these areas we will try to eradicate it whenever it appears.

Buses & Transport

I need to catch two buses to get across town; do I have to pay two full fares?

As long as you are catching the second service within an hour of catching the first one you can purchase a "Transfer Ticket" for a cheaper price. Transfer tickets are not valid for return trips. If you have a GoCard though - you're set! Your trips are already cheaper, and you can use them for return journeys with no time restrictions.

Section 36

I never use my water take so why are you charging me Section 36 charges?

As the holder of a current resource consent, you have established the right to take your specified volume of water.  Council policy stipulates that all such charges are based on the maximum authorised daily allowance, regardless of the actual volume that the consent holder chooses to take. If you wish to give up your right to take water, you have the option of surrendering your resource consent, in which case future research charges would not apply.  However, if you then choose to resume taking water in the future, you would have to go through the consent application process again.

Buses & Transport

I'd like to give some feedback on the bus services. Who do I call?

You can provide feedback, along with your name and contact information. To do so, please contact Horizons' Customer Service team on freephone 0508 800 800.

Buses & Transport

I'm a Massey student or staff member - how do I catch the bus for free?

Simple - make sure you have your Student or Staff ID ready when you get on board the bus. Your ID means you can ride the PN urban services for free. Only current internal students and staff based in Palmerston North will be able to travel for free.

Total Mobility Scheme

My ID card has expired; how do I get it renewed?

If your ID card has expired please give our Customer Services team a call, or if you know who your agency is please call them directly. The Total Mobility Coordinator will organise this with you.

Property & Rates

My rates bill has increased this year because my property value has increased, why?

Horizons has a system which deals with most rises and falls in property values and this works.  However, in a few cases where property prices rise significantly more than other properties, yes your rates will go up.  The Council has no say in this matter and any concerns you have need to be taken up with Quotable Value – the government agency that sets the rateable value of your property.  

Buses & Transport

What are GoCards and Monthly passes, and how much are they?

GoCard and Monthly Pass are pre-paid travel cards that entitle travel and save you worrying about having the correct change. A Monthly Pass allows you 28 days unlimited travel from first use. Simply swipe your card within 5 centimetres of the electronic reader on the bus and you are ready to go.

You can load more travel dollars onto your card on the bus (with cash) or at the Tranzit Depot on Matipo Street, Palmerston North or at the Tranzit Travel Centre on Ridgway Street, Wanganui.

There is a minimum top up of $10.  Please keep your receipt and check the amount loaded is correct.  Horizons Regional Council and Tranzit take no responsibility for damaged or lost cards and credit balances can not be transferred.

Initial GoCard will cost $12, with $5 travel already loaded. 
Initial Adult Monthly Pass costs $62, monthly top-up $55. 
Initial Child Monthly Pass costs $42, monthly top-up $35. 
Initial GoCard purchases can now be made at the i-Site, Palmerston North, cards  available are; $12 ($5 pre loaded travel) and $22 ($15 pre loaded travel) 
sorry top-ups not available, please check availability by calling 06 3501922. 

Buses & Transport

What are monthly passes?

Monthly Passes are pre-paid travel cards that allows you one month's unlimited travel from first use, and lasts for 30 days. Simply swipe your card within 5 centimetres of the electronic reader on the bus and you are ready to go. Monthly passes can only be used in Palmerston North and Wanganui.

An initial adult monthly pass costs $62, monthly top-up $55. 
An initial child monthly pass costs $42, monthly top-up $35

Section 36

What are the Section 36 invoices for?

These charges relate to resource consents for both research and compliance monitoring.  There is a covering letter, containing two sections:

  1. Compliance monitoring charges 
  2. Research charges 

 Depending on the nature of the consented activity, one or both parts of the letter may apply.  You may have both compliance and research charges.

Section 36

What are these additional charges for non-compliance?

If the consent conditions are not complied with, there are additional charges which are invoiced at the time of the non-compliance.
*These charges are typically recovered on a staff time per hour rate.


What area do you cover?

The Tararua, Manawatu, Horowhenua, Rangitikei, Wanganui and Ruapehu districts and Palmerston North City are within our regional boundary, along with part of the Waitomo, Taupo and Stratford districts.

Property & Rates

What do I get for my rates money?

Our Region is diverse and the hazards, pests and risks faced within it can vary from place to place. However, most activities have some benefit to all in the community.

For this reason, a portion of your rates bill is general shared rates, which go towards those services that benefit everyone.

To find out specifically where your rates are going, please check the classification codes, typically on the second page of your annual invoice.

Section 36

What do I get for my money when I pay Section 36 charges?

Cleaner, safer water both now and for the future. By researching the effects of all current resource consents including your own, the Council is able to ensure that such consents can be effectively maintained, while sustainably managing the environment now and for the future.

Extensive monitoring is undertaken by the consents monitoring team and other Horizons staff of activities associated with:
•    District Council, farm and industry water discharges
•    District Council, farm and industry water abstractions
•    Monitoring land use activities (intensive farming, vegetation clearance and gravel extractions)
•    Inspecting and assessing data and reporting on the results

Monitoring of your resource consent to determine compliance may include:
•    Site inspections (these may be tri- or bi-annual, annual or more frequently if required)
•    Assessing daily or monthly water and gravel abstraction data
•    Assessment of formal reports sent in by consent holders (quarterly or annually)
•    Assessing resource consent activities in response to public complaints.

This monitoring ensures that resource consent conditions are being complied with and:
•    Supports fair distribution of the water resources throughout our Region
•    Ensures land use activities are being undertaken in a sustainable manner
•    The potential for environmental impacts from discharges is minimised.


What do I need a consent for?

To determine if you need a consent please call toll free 0508 800 800 and ask for our friendly Consents team.  

Common farming activities that often require  a consent include;

  • Dairyshed effluent to land.
  • Discharging contaminants into water, into air or onto land (discharge permit, eg domestic effluent, stormwater).
  • Taking, damming or diverting water (water permit, eg for irrigation or stockwater).
  • Using, disturbing or building a structure on a river or lake bed (land use consent eg. bridge, culvert, gravel take).
  • Disturbing or clearing vegetation from erosion prone land (land use consent).
  • Using, disturbing or building a structure below the highest point on the coast where the sand gets wet (coastal permit).

Buses & Transport

What does HOME ONLY mean on the bus timetables?

The driver won't be picking up passengers on the route, only dropping off. The bus won't return to Main Street Terminal when finished its run.


What does Horizons Regional Council do?

We are responsible for managing the land, air and water resources within our area. As your regional council we work with communities in the areas of natural resource management, biodiversity and biosecurity, transport, river management, emergency management and regional prosperity. Our work ranges from riparian planting alongside water ways to trapping possums, from designing flood protection to contracting bus services.

Property & Rates

What happens if I don't pay my rates?

All property owners are required by law to pay their rates. The final day for payment for all rates is the 28 September 2018. If rates are not paid in full, or a payment arrangement is not in place with Horizons, penalties will be charged at the end of October. Please refer the back of your rate notice for more information.

Property & Rates

What is a river or drainage scheme rate? How are they calculated?

A Scheme Rate varies according to the benefit received from stop banks, pump stations, drainage systems and other flood protection facilities. The higher the risk of flooding to your property, the higher rate you pay as you receive greater benefit from the protection. If you live further from a waterway, you still pay for the benefits of flood-protected roads, shops and services, but at a lower rate.

Property & Rates

What is a 'targeted rate'?

Targeted Rates are for a particular activity or project that benefits specific ratepayers, for example pest plant and pest animal control. These are also referred to as biodiversity rates.

Property & Rates

What is a Uniform Annual General Charge (UAGC)?

The UAGC funds a large range of activities from which every ratepayer benefits equally. It is a fixed rate that is applied to every rateable property in the region. The UAGC this year is set at $45.42 per rateable property.

Property & Rates

What is Accelerate25?

Accelerate25 is the implementation programme which has grown from the Central Government commissioned Regional Growth Study. The study identified a number of opportunities and key enablers to help realise our Region’s economic potential. The aim of Accelerate25 is to grow our regional prosperity between now and 2025 and an Action Plan to unlock the opportunities was launched in August 2016. To find out more about Accelerate25 visit www.accelerate25.co.nz

Buses & Transport

What is an Outer Terminal?

The Outer Terminal (OT) is a normal bus stop.
However, it shows passengers that this is the half-way point of the bus route, and the OT departure time, which should help to make it easier in estimating the time a bus will arrive at a particular stop.
The OT also represents when the bus changes route number.

For example:
The below snapshot is of the Highbury/Takaro bus timetable.
The 6.40am Route to OT is listed as 3 which is the Highbury route so the bus heads towards Cuba Street first.
Once the bus reaches the OT, which on this route is at the Highbury shops, it continues to do the 4 route. Which is the Takaro area.
The 7.00am bus goes the opposite way and does the Takaro part first, followed by Highbury.

Property & Rates

What is an Uniform Annual Charge (UAC)?

These are a fixed rate applied to ratepayers who benefit from a specific type of work. It is not assessed on capital value like the general rate. Uniform annual charges include SLUI ($38.93) per property throughout the Region, Totara Reserve our only regional park ($4.29) per Palmerston North and per Manawatū properties and environmental initiatives ($21.34) on each rateable property throughout the region.
A suip is a 'Separately Used or Inhabited Part' of a rating unit and is only recognised when there is a unique valuation number for that part of the rating unit.

Property & Rates

What is meant by equalisation?

District and city councils revalue at different times across the Region.  These revaluations affect the capital value of properties and, hence how much general rate they pay.  Each year Horizons obtains an equalisation certificate from Quotable Value that shows the value of all districts as at the last revaluation date.  This information is used to equally spread the rates allocated by capital value among the districts. 

All properties in the Region are re-valued on a 3-yearly cycle.  If your property has had a revalue this year it will mean the value on which your property is rated will have changed and this will have affected the rates you pay on a capital value as properties do not uniformly move in value within a district.

Managing Natural Resources

What is the Manawatu River Leaders' Accord?

Led by Horizons, the Manawatū River Leaders’ Accord brings together leaders from community, industry, interest groups, iwi and local government in their efforts to improve the state of the Manawatū River and its catchment.  It enables groups to work in partnership with one another, sets clear goals and provides accountability around clean-up actions and activities.  Horizons contribute $410,000 per year to this clean-up effort under the Manawatū River Leaders’ Accord.  This is funded by ratepayers in the Manawatū Catchment.  More information about this work can be found at www.manawaturiver.co.nz.

Property & Rates

What is the Manawatu River Leaders' Accord?

Led by Horizons, the Manawatū River Leaders’ Accord brings together leaders from community, industry, interest groups, iwi and local government in their efforts to improve the state of the Manawatū River and its catchment.  It enables groups to work in partnership with one another, sets clear goals and provides accountability around clean-up actions and activities.  Horizons contribute $410,000 per year to this clean-up effort under the Manawatū River Leaders’ Accord.  This is funded by ratepayers in the Manawatū Catchment.  More information about this work can be found at www.manawaturiver.co.nz.

Property & Rates

What is the meaning of Classifications?

Classifications are the codes given to the descriptions in the rating lines on your invoice, shown on page 3. Rate classification codes are available to download here.

Managing Natural Resources

What is the Sustainable Land Use Initiative (SLUI)?

Our Region’s problems with hill country erosion were sorely exposed during the February 2004 storm event.  In response, representatives from our Region’s communities and stakeholder organisations have joined together and formed the Sustainable Land Use Initiative (SLUI), which seeks to implement whole farm plans specifically tailored to manage each area of highly erodible land.  The aim is to help insure against having to recover from the effects of massive-scale hill erosion in the future.  This assists in preventing the silting up of rivers downstream and thus helping to reduce flooding.    

Total Mobility Scheme

What is the Total Mobility Scheme?

Half-price taxi vouchers for people whose ability to use public transport is impaired.

Property & Rates

What is the transport rate?

Everyone pays a transport rate that goes towards land transport planning and road safety. Ratepayers who have public transport and Total Mobility services available in their area contribute to this through the transport rate.

Property & Rates

What is this new Infrastructure Reserve rate and why am I paying it?

Following an increase in natural hazards, insurance costs have increased dramatically. It has been very difficult for us to obtain insurance for our river and drainage scheme assets, so we decided to partially self insure these assets. The Infrastructure Insurance Reserve Rate will strengthen our financial position and help us self insure our extensive but vital scheme assets. 

The rate is being paid on a per property basis with the amount a property pays depending on its capital value.  The bands of rates are:

Property Value 2017-18 UAC 2018-19 UAC
Up to and including $250,000 $1.92 $2.38
Greater than $250,000 up to and including $500,000 $3.84 $4.76
Greater than $500,000 up to and including $1,000,000 $5.76 $7.14
Greater than $1,000,000 $24.93 $30.92

This money will be held in reserve and used to keep debt levels lower (to enable sufficient borrowing room in the event of a flood or earthquake.)  The need to rate for this reserve will be reviewed each year during the annual plan process.  Every three years during our Long-term Plan process we will also review the need to hold onto the reserve balance.


Section 36

What time period does this invoice cover and how often are they issued?

Your invoice refers to the 12 month period 1 July 2017 - 30 June 2018. These invoices are issued annually, midway through the invoice period (historically mid to late January each year but in 2018 will be mailed in February).

Buses & Transport

Wheelchair accessible buses & bike racks

All of our buses are wheelchair-accessible. This means they are low floored, so no more steps to climb up - and they have enough room for push wheelchairs, (not electronic ones) to fit. They are easier to use for the elderly, and make it possible for those in wheelchairs to make use of the bus services.

Currently our Feilding bus service has bike racks available on a 'first in-first served' basis.
We're aim to add bike racks to our other buses in future.


When are council meetings held?

Council meetings are held every month except for January and July. Please click here to view our calendar, or here to download an annual meeting schedule.


Buses & Transport

Where can I pick up a copy of the Palmerston North Urban bus timetable?

From your bus driver, the Tranzit depot on Matai Street, Palmerston North i-Site, Registry office at Massey Uni, or by  popping into the Horizons Palmerston North office located at 11-15 Victoria Avenue, just opposite City Doctors.
Otherwise, give our Customer Services team a call on 0508 800 800 and they will be able to post one out to you.

Managing Natural Resources

Where is Totara Reserve?

Totara Reserve is based in the Manawatu district and sits in the foothills of the Ruahine Ranges in the Pohangina Valley.  It is used by many people as a recreational area and is a valuable piece of native bush in Horizons’ Region.  We took over  management from Manawatu District Council in 2012 and are continuing to enhance its forest and wildlife, and improve camping facilities, tracks and signage. For more information on Totara Reserve, please click here.

Please note, that we do not run Camp Rangi Woods, the cabin site next to the larger of the tenting sites (Kereru). This is run through a trust that Horizons is not involved in. Jude Mitchell is the contact for Camp Rangi Woods, and can be contacted on 06 329 4753.

Buses & Transport

Which bus goes to the airport?

The Feilding to Palmerston North service.  The Palmerston North-Feilding and Feilding-Palmerston North bus services now travel via Palmerston North Airport terminal (Girls High and Boys High services will not be affected).

Buses & Transport

Which bus goes to the hospital?

More than one bus goes to the hospital. Depending on which suits your best, try the following:
5.Cloverlea/6.Milson, 7.Rhodes/8.Roslyn or the PN-Feilding bus.
Purchase any single one-way ticket on any Palmerston North city bus and get one free transfer onto another city bus.  Transfers must be made within one hour of the original ticket purchase time and can not be used for return trips.

Section 36

Who can I contact for more information about Section 36?

General queries about the consent monitoring charge itself 
e.g. "Why hdo I have to pay for consent monitoring?"

Call 0508 800 800 and ask for the team leader of consents monitoring team.

General queries about the research charge itself  
e.g. "Why has this charge been introduced?"

Call 0508 800 800 and ask for the science team.

Questions about the invoice
e.g. “I need more time to pay”.

Call 0508 800 800 and ask to speak to Accounts Receivables

Property & Rates

Who decides Horizons' activities?

Horizons has certain responsibilities mandated on it from Central Government.  We also actively consult with the community to ensure we represent the wishes of our ratepayers and utilise ratepayers’ money in ways the community will benefit the most from.

Property & Rates

Who gets a rates bill from Horizons?

Everyone who owns a property in Horizons Region will get an annual rates invoice from Horizons.

Property & Rates

Why do I get a rates bill from my city/district council and Horizons?

Horizons is a completely separate organisation to your city/district council. City or district councils are responsible for community services in your area such as road maintenance, libraries, recreation areas and land use.
Horizons are your regional council and manage the natural resources such as land and water across several city and district council territories. We are also responsible for emergency management in conjunction with Civil Defence, and provide public transport services to many of our communities.

We have only been sending out rates directly to ratepayers since 2002. Prior to 2002, Horizons rates were collected on our behalf by the city and district councils. We made the change to direct rating because we believe that you need to know more about how your money is spent.


Section 36

Why do I have to pay for Section 36 consent monitoring?

Horizons Regional Council’s Councillors have determined through the Annual Plan process, that consent holders of large sites [i.e. Category 1 b2 and 3 (WWTP only)] are to fund 80 per cent of the cost of monitoring resource consents and minor consent holders (category 3 and 4) fund 65 per cent of the cost of monitoring resource consents. The remaining 20 per cent  or 35 per cent is funded from the General Rate.

The inspection/monitoring fee is $334 +GST for each resource consent. If there is more than one resource consent for the same activity on the same property, the fee is $334 +GST for the first consent and $84 +GST for every consent thereafter.

The Section36 costs are to recover staff time in monitoring of resource consents. In the majority of cases consent holders who comply with their consent conditions will not receive any extra monitoring charges beyond this s36 Annual Charge.  For Industrial and Territorial sites where multiple inspections are required costs are recovered on an ongoing basis.

Section 36

Why do I have to pay Section36 research charges?

Council has determined that consent holders receive individual benefit from the research that is carried out. The individual compliance fee (separately charged) covers the costs of monitoring a holder’s individual consent.

The research charges contribute towards the costs incurred by Horizons in researching and identifying the cumulative impact on our environment of all such activities across our region. Information gained from this research can also be used by applicants during the resource consent application process.

This research is essential for our many regional organisations, farms and other industries, who are dependant on this information. Further, the findings enable us to continue to provide communities and users with ongoing services, including water for recreational use, clean drinking water and a healthy habitat for native fish.

By maintaining and further developing knowledge of our region’s natural  resources, the interests of the consent holder, the needs of the wider regional community and the resource itself are all protected.

Property & Rates

Why do I pay a House Flood rate ($494.77) when my neighbours don't and we both pay rates towards the Lower Manawatu Scheme?

Since the LMS rating system was adopted in June 2009, Council has received a number of submissions in respect of the fairness of application of the HF category rate. Through the 2010-11 Annual Plan process, Council adopted some changes which resulted in a number of properties being removed from the HF category.  Essentially these were:
1. All those rural houses that receive flood protection from the LMS but where the depth of inundation in a 100-year flood would be less than 50mm have been exempted from the HF rate.
2. The Feilding urban flood protection rating boundary has been modified to include an area immediately to the North of Feilding that is presently being developed as an extension to the urban area.  By being shifted into the urban category, houses in that extension area will no longer pay the HF rate, but will now pay the lesser Feilding urban (FG) rate.
3. The Palmerston North urban flood protection rating boundary has been modified to include an area to the West of the City between Longburn-Rongotea/Shirriffs Road and the Mangaone Stream and between No. 1 Line and the Manawatu River. That area is rapidly developing as an extension to the present City urban area. By being shifted into the urban category, houses in that developing area will no longer pay the HF rate but will now pay the lesser Palmerston North urban (PN) rate.

All other rural houses (777 of them) will continue to be rated in the HF category.

Property & Rates

Why do we need Freshwater Management?

Freshwater is a high priority for both central government, and our communities.  Our freshwater and partnerships programme aims to protect and enhance water quality and aquatic habitat, including through partnerships with landowners, iwi and external agencies.

Property & Rates

Why does Horizons put out a rates brochure?

Horizons believes that it is important that you have a clear understanding of what your rates pay for and the benefits that you receive, and we’ve had feedback that more communication is desired.  Every council in the country does this and it is part of our philosophy of being open and up front about what we do.  Our Rates Explained brochure is printed on environmentally sustainable paper to minimise any impact on the environment. We encourage you to recycle this brochure if you do not wish to keep it for future reference.

Property & Rates

Why have I received separate invoices for each of my properties?

Customers with more than 5 invoices request to receive one invoice for all properties which also means only one payment will need to be made.

Property & Rates

Why have my Whanganui Scheme rates increased?

The Lower Whanganui River infrastructure is in relatively poor condition which poses a risk. This  matter was highlighted by the Port Revitalisation project.  The lower reach of the river has now been added to the areas of responsibility covered by the Whanganui Scheme. This includes covering inspection maintenance of this infrastructure and manage the alignment of the lower reach of the river, including the moles located at the river mouth.

Property & Rates

Why haven't I received a rates bill?

If you have recently bought or sold the property the required details may not have been forwarded to Horizons.  If you have changed your postal address and forgotten to tell us please do so.  We will then issue you with a copy or a new rates notice.

Property & Rates

Why is Horizons' General Rate based on Capital Value?

General rates of regional councils may be made on either a land value or capital value basis.  We were directed to use the capital value system by the Local Government (Manawatu-Wanganui Region) Reorganisation Order 1989, which established the Council.  The Local Government Commission considered the different rating systems during the process of forming the Reorganisation Order and their decision was for the capital system.
Other Councils in our area:

  • Palmerston North City Council - Land Value
  • Manawatu District Councill - Capital Value
  • Whanganui District Council - Land Value
  • Horowhenua District Council - Land Value
  • Tararua District Council - Land Value
  • Ruapehu District Council - Land Value
  • Rangitikei District Council - Capital Value
  • Part Waitomo - Capital Value
  • Part Taupo - Capital Value
  • Part Stratford - Capital Value

Property & Rates

Why is Horizons involved with regional economic growth?

On behalf of the community, Horizons has made a commitment towards regional economic growth and prosperity, through the Accelerate25 programme, with funding for coordinating and facilitating the programme to come from a mix of annual rates ($1 per property) and reserves as of this year. Horizons coordinate the Accelerate25 programme in conjunction with district and city councils and Central Government. Through the 2018 Long-term Plan process Horizons will consult with the community as to whether we continue this commitment.

Property & Rates

Why is my invoice two pages?

The purpose of the two page invoice is to give you more information about what services and benefits that you receive for your rates.  In the past you have received very little basic information and there have been complaints about this, so the two page invoice is in direct response to requests for more information. The majority of the information provided within your invoice is legislatively required, and therefore cannot be removed.

Section 36

Why isn’t Section 36 also being charged to my neighbour?

If you believe that your neighbour should also be liable for this charge, please provide full details to our customer services team on free phone 0508 800 800 and we will investigate this matter.