Post-Cyclone Gabrielle: Regulatory advice, contact details and welfare information

We have advice around regulations for those in areas severely impacted by the cyclone to help the primary sector get back on its feet. We've also listed contact details and welfare information here. 

Infrastructure such as farm bridges and culverts have been damaged or destroyed as a result of Cyclone Gabrielle can be replaced without the need for resource consent on the basis they are repaired or reinstated on a like-for-like basis. 

Culverts should generally be replaced like-for-like, but if this is not practical stay close to the original size and consider the downstream effects on your property or your neighbours' of larger culverts. Keep a brief record to the replacement - if the replacement is larger than the original, keep a note of location and size, and take a photo. 

Stream culvert replacements should be done in a manner that provides for fish passage. People can contact our freshwater team on 0508 800 800 for assitance with culvert requirements.

If you are uncertain about your regulatory situation, call 0508 800 800 and ask for the duty planner.

Email for river management related issues

Tararua-specific emergency powers
The Government passed emergency legislation post-cyclone to make it easier for the most affected areas to recover. In the Horizons Region, the emergency legislation applies to Tararua only.
The legislation enables any activity undertaken to implement preventative or remedial measures on rural land which are required to avoid, remedy or mitigate the loss, injury, detriment or damage caused by Cyclone Gabrielle to now be done as a permitted activity. Permitted activities do not require a resource consent. The intention is to enable communities to undertake activities – for example, clearing slips, removing silt, fixing culverts or clearing debris – without applying for a consent, even retrospectively. However, the onus is on the landowner or occupier doing the activity to ensure “permitted activity” criteria are met.
The owner or occupier must do the following:

  1. Consider the measures proportionate.
  2. Do them in a matter which avoids, remedies or mitigates adverse effects where reasonably practicable.
  3. Not cause significant adverse effects beyond the property boundary.
  4. Give written notice to Horizons in the 60 days after the activity begins.

This does not apply for any activity classified as a prohibited activity in the One Plan, any applicable regulations or in national environmental standards. Deemed permitted activities also do not apply where consents under s12 of the Resource Management Act are required for activities in the coastal marine area. Furthermore, activities on a culturally significant site can only be undertaken with the prior written consent of local iwi and hapū.
The full emergency legislation, which expires on 1 April 2024, can be found here. If you are uncertain about your regulatory situation, call 0508 800 800 and ask for the duty planner.

Animal welfare
If stock need to be buried this should be done in areas away from waterways. We recognise fences alongside waterways will be impacted and it will take time to reinstate these.

Where milk needs to be disposed of to ensure animal welfare is maintained, it should be disposed into the farm dairy effluent system and then discharged to land. Full or overflowing effluent systems can also be discharged to land.

Mental health
Call or text 1737 to speak to a trained counsellor for free 24/7
Vake Tautua (Pasifika mental health and disability services) 0800 825 282
Youthline – 0800 376 633, free text 234 or email or use their Webchat service
Financial help
Work and Income – call on 0800 400 100 or visit their this webpage for more about Civil Defence Payments to cover loss of income, emergency food and more.
Inland Revenue – call 0800 473 566 or visit their website for more about tax relief for adverse events.
Rural advice
Rural Support – 0800 78 72 54 or visit their Manawatū-Rangitīkei or East Coast webpages
Ministry for Primary Industries – 0800 00 83 33 or check out the factsheet on their website.
Support for Pacific communities
For information and support for our Pacific communities please visit the Ministry for Pacific Peoples website. 

Emergency accomodation, food and other essentials
Contact your city or district council.

Civil Defence Emergency Management Groups continue to ask that people do not donate goods and instead donate to Mayoral Relief funds.